worker on powerline

Restoring Power


Arranging for Storm-Related Electrical Repairs

After serious damage to your home's electrical system, the utility may not be able to reconnect your power until you make repairs. Even if you do have power, you may still have damage that needs repair. In some cases, you may be able to make temporary repairs to get your power back immediately. However, you will have to make these repairs permanent soon.

Electrical equipment may belong to you and not the electrical utility.

Typically, your ownership of electrical equipment begins where the wires attach to the house. The wire from the pole to the house is generally the utility’s; but the wires inside the mast/pipe, the mast, and those attached to and in the house belong to you. If this equipment is damaged, you need to arrange repairs before the utility can safely reconnect power. You should start this process immediately.

What you should do:

To Get Repairs Done:

  1. Do not try to repair this equipment yourself. Stay back to avoid the risk of shock, electrocution or fire
  2. Contact a Licensed Electrical Contractor to make repairs
  3. Once you have hired a Licensed Electrical Contractor:
    • The contractor will file for a notification of work (permit) with ESA so there is a record of the work;
    • The contractor must request a “disconnection” from the local utility if they are working on the meterbase or service mast;
    • The contractor will complete the work, then notify ESA. The ESA Inspector will confirm the power can be reconnected;
    • ESA will inform the utility that it can reconnect; and
    • The utility will reconnect when it is able to do so.
  4. After the work is complete, ask the contractor for a copy of the ESA Certificate of Acceptance. This is for your records and for insurance purposes. According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada, most home insurance policies cover the cost to repair a home's electrical mast. A Licensed Electrical Contractor must do the repairs, and you must pay your insurance policy deductible. Send the insurer the receipts you've kept for the claim.

Temporary Repairs 

If ESA authorized temporary repairs to let power be restored, these repairs must be made permanent for safety reasons. ESA or your utility will send you a letter, advising that you have 30 days to make the temporary repairs permanent. Please follow the four steps outlined above to have your repairs completed.

Examples of Damaged Homeowner-Owned Equipment

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

home with damaged mast/pipe     home with damaged mast/pipe      a house with damaged mast/pipe on the roof