I’m a homeowner. What type of inspection do I need?

Homes may need one of two types of inspections:

  • New Residential: This involves installing a wiring system in a structure that did not have one before.
  • Renovation Residential: This covers any change to original wiring, including repair and replacement of devices. You may not need a notification if you are the property owner, living in your owner-occupied single family dwelling, can legally complete electrical work there, and are replacing certain light fixtures and switches. Call the Customer Service Centre at 1-877-ESA-SAFE (372-7233) to see if this applies to your project.

Note that homes can be detached, semi-detached, row housing, duplexes, triplexes, quadruplexes, farm houses, modular or prefabricated, with or without a basement.

New or renovated home electrical inspections can include:

  • Trench – An inspection of underground wiring.
  • Service/connection – An inspection of wiring to meter, main disconnect means (e.g. fuses or breakers) and grounding to service. See more in  What is a service inspection?
  • Rough-in – This takes place when all branch circuit wiring and outlet boxes are installed and before wiring is hidden by insulation, vapour barrier, drywall, etc. See more in  What is a rough-in inspection?
  • Final – Ask for the final inspection as soon as possible after completion of the electrical installation. See more in What is a final inspection?