Hiring a Licensed Electrical Contractor
What is a Licensed Electrical Contractor and why should I hire one?
Licensed Electrical Contractors are the only businesses, with certain exemptions, in Ontario legally authorized to do electrical work in your home or facility.
All Licensed Electrical Contractors:
- carry liability insurance;
- have Workplace Safety and Insurance Board coverage;
- understand that they must arrange for an electrical notification to ESA;
- are qualified to perform electrical work to meet the Ontario Electrical Safety Code;
- can show an ECRA/ESA licence number
Always ask for an ECRA/ESA licence number to make sure you’re choosing the right electrical contractor. If you use a general contractor or other trade professional who subcontracts the electrical work, it must be done by a Licensed Electrical Contractor. Check the status of the person working in your home or find a Licensed Electrical Contractor here.
Where can I find a Licensed Electrical Contractor?
ESA has a convenient search tool to help find one in your area.
How does ESA know if someone is doing electrical work without a contractor’s licence?
ESA finds out about work being done outside the system in a few ways:
- Anyone can contact ESA’s Customer Service Centre (confidentially) at 1-(877) ESA-SAFE (372-7233) if they suspect electrical work being done without a licence. ESA receives reports from property owners, contractors, inspectors and others, and looks into every one.
- Anyone can file an anonymous report online. All submitted reports will be reviewed, regardless of whether or not you provide your personal information. The more information you provide, the more likely we will be able to follow-up on your report.
- ESA works with a team dedicated to addressing the underground economy. Efforts include following up on reports of unlicensed activity and reviewing online classifieds sites to identify unlicensed contractors advertising electrical work.
If you suspect someone is doing electrical work without a licence, please enter the details here.
My friend gave me a contact, how can I tell if they’re licensed?
There are several ways to verify if a contractor is licensed:
- Check ESA’s contractor look-up tool.
- Call 1-877-ESA-SAFE (372-7233) and choose option 3 for Contractor Licensing.
- Check the contractor’s estimate or business card. If they are licensed, the licence number should be on all their correspondence and even their vehicle. The number would look like this: ECRA/ESA 7999999.
Visit Identifying an Unlicensed Electrical Contractor to learn more.
How can I file a complaint against a licensed or unlicensed contractor?
Follow the steps listed in the complaints process or call 1-877-372-7233.
Do you have a database for contractors found working without a licence?
Yes, we have an extensive database that we regularly update with notices that have been issued to unlicensed contractors. See a list of convictions of unlicensed contractors and Licensed Electrical Contractors.