Doing Electrical Work

Who can do electrical work at my property?

When looking to hire someone for electrical work, ensure you find an authorized expert.

In Ontario, only a Licensed Electrical Contractors (with some exemptions, such as HVAC installers) legally authorized to do electrical work in your home. Licensed Electrical Contracting Businesses are bonded and insured, providing you with peace of mind.

General Contractors cannot do electrical work in residences unless they hold an electrical contractor’s licence. If you hire a general contractor, confirm that a licensed subcontractor will do the electrical work. 

You can find a Licensed Electrical Contractor or confirm that your contractor holds a valid licence at findacontractor.esasafe.com.

Electrical work can also be done in a home by the homeowner or occupant. (An occupant is someone living in a residence or using the premises, as a tenant or owner; or a person who takes possession of property that has no known owner.) 

If you choose to do the work yourself, be aware of the responsibilities and risks. Ensure the work is done according to the Ontario Electrical Safety Code and file all required notifications of work to ESA. Learn more: Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Electrical Work.