Report a Non-Compliance

** Please note ESA prioritizes work based on risk factors relying on information provided to ESA at the time of the report. As a result, in order to best follow up on your report, we require information such as a company’s or person’s name and address or their work vehicle licence plate, as well as the site address where electrical work was performed.

The more information you provide, the more likely we will be able to adequately follow up your report. Insufficient or missing information may result in your report not being addressed.

ESA will review all submitted reports. You may remain anonymous when submitting a report.

It is important to note that ESA does not have the authority to settle a dispute, or to impose a settlement, and it does not have the authority to act as an arbitrator in a complaint. While your report may be valid, it could fall outside of ESA’s jurisdiction. If your report is about the standard of service, action or lack of action by or on behalf of ESA, please visit ESA's Complaints page..

ESA licenses Electrical Contractors and Master Electricians in Ontario. All electrical installations in Ontario (with few exemptions) must be performed by Licensed Electrical Contractors. It’s the law! We also make sure that the Licensed Electrical Contractor you hire meets established standards of conduct and safety.

Our licensing reporting process deals with: 

  • Cases where companies or people act as electrical contractors but do not hold an ECRA/ESA Electrical Contractor licence
  • Cases where ECRA/ESA licence holder fails to meet the licence requirements

ESA is about enforcing electrical safety in Ontario. Too often, we see dangerous electrical work done by unlicensed contractors, which can put your family in danger and your home at risk. If you suspect someone is doing electrical work without a licence, please let us know.

For questions or concerns related to the Consumer Protection Act, 2002, you should contact:

Ministry of Public and Business Service Delivery — Tel: 416-326-8800 / Toll-free: 1-800-889-9768


A report of licensing non-compliance may be filed by contacting ESA: 

  • By phone: 1-(877) esa-safe (372-7233) 
  • By mail: 400 Sheldon Dr, Unit 1, Cambridge ON, N1T 2H9 
  • Online: complete the form below 

Report information

If you would like to provide your contact information, please enter it here: