Renew Your Electrical Contractor Licence
The Ontario Government made an announcement “Ontario Declares Second Provincial Emergency to Address COVID-19 Crisis and Save Lives”, effective January 14, 2021. Although our offices are closed, ESA continues to process licensing renewals and other applications. As every situation is different, ESA is committed to working with all our licence holders on a case-by-case basis to help understand and support your business needs during these difficult times. If your business has been impacted by Covid-19 and you wish to discuss your licensing renewal fees, please email our Licensing Department or phone 1-877-372-7233 and we will work together with you to find a solution
To keep your Electrical Contractor licence valid, you must maintain the requirements of the licence and pay an annual licence fee to ESA. Failure to do so may result in a Notice of Proposal to revoke, suspend or refuse to renew.
If your licence becomes invalid (suspended, expired, revoked) you must stop operating as electrical contractor, you will not be permitted to arrange for inspection and your information will be removed from the contractor locator tool.
Each year, every Licensed Electrical Contractor must:
- Submit annual licence fee
- Confirm that it has been maintaining the requirements of the Licensed Electrical Contractor licence
Every five years, Licensed Electrical Contractors must submit:
- ESA Renewal form — this will be sent to you
- Valid Certificate of Qualification
- Certificate of valid Liability Insurance
- WSIB clearance certificate (if applicable)
- Annual licence fee.
The renewal forms will be sent 90 days before your licence is due to be renewed. The invoice will be sent to you 30 days before your licence is to be renewed.
Note: ESA sends all licensing correspondence by your preferred method. To update your contact information, please complete the Notice of Change to Information Form and send to ESA.Licensing@electricalsafety.on.ca. If you believe you should have already received renewal documents, please contact us.
All Electrical Contractors will be subject to a random audit to confirm that they are maintaining their eligibility to maintain Electrical Contractor Licence (for example, trade qualifications) within their licence cycle.
Requirements to maintain your Licensed Electrical Contractor license:
To maintain a valid license, you must apply for a renewal and demonstrate that you are still eligible for the license. You have a number of responsibilities as a license holder and are required to comply with them at all times for the duration of your license, at all times:
- While performing electrical installations, you must comply with the Electrical Safety Code
- Comply all applicable laws and regulations, such as:
- Consumer protection legislation
- Laws related to health and safety
- Laws relating to employment standards
- Business laws and business practices
- Maintain a Designated Master Electrician who will supervise the work and compliance with the applicable requirements
- Understand and follow the License Holder Standards of Conduct
Questions? Email ESA.Licensing@electricalsafety.on.ca or call 1-877-372-7233, option 3.