What is ESA doing about unlicensed contractors doing electrical work?
Our whole purpose is safety, and the underground economy is a big concern. Our enforcement includes:
- Pursuing prosecutions, fines and jail time through the courts. Convictions send a clear message that risking public safety has serious consequences;
- Publicly sharing Administrative Penalties and convictions. This reminds consumers and contractors about the consequences when you don't hire Licensed Electrical Contractors.
- Programs that identify commercial renovation work being done without filing an electrical notification;
- Intercepting illegal online advertising;
- Public awareness campaigns. These increase awareness of the law to hire a licensed electrical contractor. People who see our ads are almost twice as likely to hire a licensed electrical contractor; and
- Issuing Administrative Penalties to quickly address illegal electrical work. This sends a clear message that engaging in illegal electrical work will no longer be economically viable.