icon of shield with home

ESA Certificate of Acceptance

Keep yourself and your family safe by making sure electrical work meets the Ontario Electrical Safety Code.

No matter how small the job, when you hire someone to do electrical work in your home, by law in Ontario they must be a Licensed Electrical Contractor. A Licensed Electrical Contractor will ensure the work is done properly, safely and legally with the necessary notifications to ESA. General handymen and other service providers cannot do electrical work unless they hold an ECRA/ESA licence number.

Once your electrical work has been reviewed and passed, ESA will issue a Certificate of Acceptance (or Certificate of Inspection for notifications created before July 6, 2020) to the person who filed the notification. It’s an important document for insurance purposes, resale and peace of mind.

If your contractor filed the notification, ask for a copy of the certificate for your records. If you are unable to receive a copy from your contractor, please complete and return the Access to Information form. Email completed applications to RFI@electricalsafety.on.ca or by fax to 1-800-667-4278.