skyview of property

Property Owner Obligations

Property Managers have special requirements when it comes to electrical safety and the law.

All electrical work on the properties you manage must meet the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. This includes filing notifications with ESA before or within 48 hours of the electrical work starting. Notifications and ESA review of the work are almost always required even if you have an electrician on staff.

If your tenants do electrical work, make sure they know they must follow the Ontario Electrical Safety Code and file a notification of work with ESA. A property manager or tenant can perform renovations that include electrical work in any unit and in common areas. If the work is contracted out, it must be to a Licensed Electrical Contractor.

Not following the law could put property managers at risk. You might have insurance claims denied. You risk charges under the Electricity Act. You also compromise the safety of tenants and visitors in the building.

On this page:

Complying with the Law
Find a Licensed Electrical Contractor
Simplifying Business

Complying with the Law

A new lessee? Renewing a lease? New and existing tenants often renovate their space after signing a lease. Renovations and repairs involving electrical work must meet the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. Here are four things you need to know when planning electrical work:

  • Only hire a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
    Building superintendents, general contractors or other service providers may only do electrical work if they hold an ECRA/ESA licence or work for your property management company. If you or your tenants hire a general contractor, confirm that a Licensed Electrical Contractor will do the work. Learn more about how Licensed Electrical Contractors help keep you and your tenants safe and how they can save time and money.
  • Doing the work yourself?
    Follow the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. Property managers, tenants and building owners may do their own electrical work. However, you must follow the Code. Regular updates address emerging technology and improvements in electrical safety practices. Always refer to the current edition of the Code. Purchase a Code book here.
  • File a Notification of Work with ESA.
    Most electrical work needs a notification of work filed to the Electrical Safety Authority. The person doing the work must file this before or within 48 hours of the start of the electrical work. To confirm notification requirements and to get your notification, call 1-877-ESA-SAFE (372-7233). Looking for a streamlined approach for regular electrical maintenance jobs? Learn more about our Continuous Safety Services program.
  • Have it reviewed.
    You must make arrangements to review the work at each stage of the installation or maintenance. Request an inspection for an existing notification by calling the Customer Service Centre, 1-877-ESA-SAFE. You can also email a completed Form, which can be found here

Find a Licensed Electrical Contractor

ESA makes it easy for you to find a Licensed Electrical Contractor or confirm that your contractor holds a valid licence. Look up a contractor by postal code or name. Or, check that a contractor has a licence by entering their number or name.

Simplifying Business

ESA offers property managers Continuous Safety Services (CSS). This streamlined notification, inspection and safety process helps your business run more efficiently.

More than 28,000 locations across Ontario use ESA’s CSS program. We work with diverse businesses and customize programs specific to their needs. Learn more about the CSS program.

ESA provides some types of electrical wiring work considered non-regulatory services. Find out more about these services.