VALE Powerline Safety Awareness
Qualified Observer Training
NOTE: Only contractors and approved VALE employees working on VALE property may register for this course. You must complete this training before you can get an “Authorization To Work Around Energized Overhead Conductors” at VALE Ontario properties. VALE requires this when work on the surface may cross the limits of the approach to powerlines.
- Identify powerlines and the hazards they pose
- Understand the rules of working near powerlines when:
- Operating high reach equipment
- Loading and unloading material.
- Describe what to do if a worker or equipment comes into contact with a powerline.
- Understand your responsibilities:
- Under the Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) Act. As a qualified observer or “spotter” under VALE’s Standard Procedure.
- Who is ESA?
- Powerline Contact Statistics
- The Electrical Distribution System
- Ground Gradients
- Powerline Safety
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Duties of a Signaller, or Qualified Observer
- Powerline Incidents
- VALE Ontario Ops – Maintenance Standard Procedure: Authorization to Work Around Energized Overhead Conductors.
ESA offers this course online and in-class.
ONLINE: Registration for the online course is ongoing. To register, simply complete the registration form using Course ID 90024145 and submit the form as directed below. Upon confirmation of registration, you’ll receive an email with steps to access the online course.
IN-CLASS: We currently do not have any in-class sessions. Please contact the Mining Services office for more info at 705-523-1985 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Fees: In-class or online, $85.00 + applicable taxes, per person.
Download the Training Registration Form
- Select a VALE Powerline Safety Awareness session.
- You must pay for the course when you register. You may pay by credit card, ESA account, or cheque. If paying by cheque, make it payable to Electrical Safety Authority and mail it with the completed form.
- Complete the Course Registration form and mail, fax or email it to ESA:
Electrical Safety Authority
400 Sheldon Drive, Unit 1
Cambridge, Ontario N1T 2H9